Dozens of sugarfree, dairyfree, frozen treats like Kiwi Lime Ice Cream are hanging out in the dessert section of The Feel Good Cookbook. You should party there too.
1 (13 ounce) can coconut milk
1 quart rice milk
1 (12 ounce) can frozen pineapple juice concentrate
1 lime, juiced
4 kiwis, peeled
1/2 teaspoon guar gum (optional)
Combine in blender, pour into ice cream freezer, and freeze according to directions.
Tips for Fabulous Old Fashioned Ice Creams:
- The creamiest coconut cream makes the best ice cream. Coconut milk works too, but the cream has just a little more plant based saturated fat if you can find it unsweetened. Higher sat fat ramps up the endorphin release for fat when you eat it, but it does NOT make you fat or clog your arteries as animal based sat fat does! This is why I switched to coconut cream instead of coconut milk as our dairy cream replacer at home. Try all the brands available in your area until you’ve found the thickest, yummiest one.
- Whipping air into the liquid base of your ice cream using a blender just before freezing, will render a lighter, creamier frozen treat.
- *Guar gum is a plant extractive that serves as a stabilizer and binding agent. It prevents ice cream from icing up in the freezer and also causes the ice cream to be softer to scoop even while still frozen. Buy it in powder form at a natural foods store. It’s optional, but it goes a long way. I consider the minor expense well worth it.
- Do not skimp on the rock salt! Instead of purchasing it in tiny expensive boxes, get a big bag of water softener salt (granular, not pellets) and ‘pour it on’. Your motor will last longer and the ice cream will freeze faster by using 1-2 cups of rock salt.
- Pull frozen ice cream out of your kitchen freezer 15-20 minutes before serving and let it thaw on the counter. Not only will it form big luscious scoops, but the flavors are better tasted and savored with a little chill time at room temperature.
- If you have any ice cream left, it stores nicely in the freezer.
For Kiwi Lime Ice Cream and other healthy treat recipes, check out The Feel Good Cookbook.